Skip to main content

tv   Special Report With Bret Baier  FOX News  September 10, 2011 4:00am-5:00am EDT

4:00 am
it is a mellow dramatic funny thing. >> back to the hot dogs. >> i don't have time for mike. >> story of my life. story of my life. >> we will make some time for you later. how about that? as we approach ten years since 9/11, the hunt is on for the people behind a new terror threat. president obama hits the road to sell the new jobs plan. where did $535 million of your money go after it went to a green energy company? live from the studio in washington. this is "special report." good evening. i'm chris wallace in for bret baier. we are just two days away from the tenth anniversary of an event we will never forget. amid reflections of the 9/11 terror attacks, there is now a nationwide effort to keep the homeland safe from another possible strike. federal authorities are
4:01 am
looking for potential enemies both foreign and domestic who may be planning to hit us again. national correspondent catherine herridge is here with the latest. good evening. >> reporter: thank you. two cities targeted by al-qaeda ten years ago are high on alert. with visible security on subways in washington, d.c., and throughout new york city, the giant f.b.i. homeland security intelligence bulletin obtained by fox says the timing and method of a tenial plot. al-qaeda possibly planned to care iry out attacks including possible car bomb attack around the time frame of the tenth anniversary. in new york, for events marking the murder of 3,000 americans a decade ago, the secretary of state said the intelligence could not be ignored. >> we are taking this threat seriously. federal, state and local authorities are taking all steps to address it. >> reporter: with the already heavy police presence, investigators are seeking a handful of potential suspects which may include american citizens or legal permanent
4:02 am
residents such as green card holders. the bulletin emphasizes the point. attacks may involve those carrying documentation and it would be intended to cause panic the public and disarray among first responders. leading analyst and coauthor of new report of the future says it could be case of al-qaeda 2 hadn't 0 2.0. >> we're seeing the operative with the u.s. documentation not just doing minor tasks like surveillance but they are taking leadership role in the affiliate organization. >> u.s. officials confirm the threat information came from pakistan and a source known to the u.s. intelligence committee. there were strong indicators it's linked to ayman al-zawahiri who took over al-qaeda after bin laden's death in may. the egyptian doctor long lived in bin laden's shadow, which may explain the push to hit on 9/11. >> al-zawahiri has a leadership challenge. he has to prove to the organization of al-qaeda is bigger than the personality of
4:03 am
bin laden. he has to solidify his leadership, so conducting an attack on the university would go a long way to do that. >> they deny the source of the intelligence was telephone intercept adding the investigation is worked at the highest tempo. after notifying the public of potential threat, the u.s. official told fox getting information out there can have a deterrent effect. >> we will stay on top of this all weekend. thank you. the house overwhelmingly passed a bill spelling out policy for the nation's spy agencies. lawmakers dropped a directive to require a veto from the president. they would require information on detainees on guantanamo bay and mandatingnate confirmation for head of the national security agency. president obama took sales pitch for new jobs program on the road to the backyard of one of toughest critics. chief white house correspondent ed henry tells us the president seemed to
4:04 am
focus not just on policy but also on politics. >> good evening. >> in the backyard of eric cantor in richmond and last night the president insisted it was above politics, that was then and this is now. now he is a president while he wants to get help to people fast, he is sounding like a candidate. >> hello, richmond. >> reporter: it has the look and feel of a campaign rally. as president obama has a plan he hopes to create jobs and maybe save his own. >> if you want construction workers on the work site, pass this bill. if you want small business owners to hire new people, pass this bill. you will fight as hard for tax cuts for workers and middle class people as you do for all companies. and rich folks, pass this bill. >> repeating a mon tra we heard a dozen times thursday night. >> you should pass the jobs plan right away. pass the jobs bill and we can
4:05 am
put people to work rebuilding america. you should pass it right away. >> the joint session gambling, the president urged both sides to put politics aside. then offered a not so suffer political threat to republica republicans. >> you should pass it. i intend to take that message to every corner of the country. >> in an amazing coincidence, the first three corners are battleground states. north carolina, ohio, virginia today. district of house republican leader eric cantor no less. white house is betting since can't can't and other republicans have to face voters next year, they will sign on to the jobs bill. >> committed to working with the president and the other side to actually doing something that can help people get back to work. >> speaker boehner sounded ready for a deal as he teased vice president biden about a labor day speech charging republicans are like barbarians at the get a thwarting the president. >> i'm on a barbarian. >> we're at the get a.
4:06 am
>> microphones caught the speaker boosting about a great golf match he called the round of a decade. it remains to be seen whether this will be the legislative deal of the decade. boehner and fired off a letter raising concerns about cost, writing they want the white house to detail offset that are needed to ensure proposals are paid for. the president top aides are vowing he is about to offer the sweeping debt reduction plan of the presidency in two phases. next week he sends the jobs bill up to the hill with $447 billion in specific offsets. then following week he will have a broader $1.5 trillion debt reduction plan that he wants to send to the super committee on capitol hill to consider. republicans say they have heard this before. they are waiting for specifics. specifics. >> thank you for that. friday bill couldn't come soon enough for investors on wall street shaken by the fear over the europe debt crisis. the dow dropped 304 points.
4:07 am
the s&p 500 lost 32. nasdaq fell 61. get more now from fox business network peter barnes. >> the major indexes were down 2.5% today. erasing their gains for the week. they are worried about the ability of the european country to contain debt problems all over the continent and concern about president obama's new jobs plan. >> there is uncertainty and mixed signals obviously coming out of europe. as well as washington. we have no direction right now. or any confidence of where the federal policies are going in terms of the tax rates, tax cuts, the rest of it. >> treasury secretary tim geithner is in san francisco today meeting with the finance ministers of the g-7 industrialized nations who are working on the european debt
4:08 am
crisis. the markets were spooked when the top german official at the european central bank resigned suddenly today. he protested the banks big bond buying program which has been a major tool in fighting the debt problems. analysts said the resignation throws in question the central bank's ability to deal with the crisis. >> peter, thank you. >> some 1100 jobs were lost when a green energy firm touted as a model by president obama unexpectedly turned off the lights last week. the was soon followed by a bankruptcy filing and then thursday by a raid by the f.b.i. chief washington correspondent jim angle looks at what is going on. >> we can see the positive impacts right here. >> the solar energy firm solyndra was the poster child of the administration evidents to create green jobs and now it's the target of criminal and congressional investigations. >> because there is so much
4:09 am
concern over where the money went, how it's spend and is there fraud and abuse. >> it really was a lot of ways a flagship. the first energy loan guarantee by the administration and really announced with great fanfare in 2009. >> solyndra got a $535 million loan from the federal government, the first of billions of loans to green companies which president obama personally touted in a visit to the company. earlier in week, the f.b.i. and the inspector general of the energy department raided the company's offices. outside investigation found earlier in year they asked the federal government for more time to pay that resulted in an unusual arrangement. >> as part of the agreement the department of energy was allowed to sit in on the board met meetings. >> suggesting the administration should have had a sense that the company with the taxpayers money was in jeopardy. >> key month where the fortunes failed. it's important to hear on what
4:10 am
did you see and what did you hear and did it raise alarm bells for you? >> they contribute and raised money for president obama and cozy enough to visit the white house often. >> it appears to be 20 times. so what were they doing at the white house? >> if the white house was objective about the company, he asked, why was it instilate my involved with the company executives and why stern and congressional committee want to know are hedge funds first in line to get the money back before taxpayers? >> unusual arrangement. the department of energy has to tell us how they could do this and whether it's, shall we say breaking the law. >> the investigation of sylendra and tens of billions to other green ventures is only beginning. in washington, jim angle, fox news. the white house press machine went too fast for its own good thursday night. that is later on grapevine. but first, in 30 seconds, latest on fighting in libya
4:11 am
checking world headlines, interpol says it's issued the highest most wanted alert for libyan leader muammar gaddafi and his son. gaddafi supporters traded rocket fire today with former rebels near the loyalist stronghold. antigovernment protesters in syria are appealing for international protection from
4:12 am
a bloody crackdown by president bashar assad. this amateur video supposedly shows syrian troops and tankss on the streets of the flash point city of hahn. nato says four coalition fighters were killed today in two separate incidents. three service members died in an insurgent attack in the east. one was killed in a roadside bombing in the south there are no further details. still ahead, comparison of different plans to get americans working again. but up next, water, water almost everywhere. in parts of the north east. we'l
4:13 am
4:14 am
4:15 am
firefighting crews north of houston are getting help from a d.c.-10 jetlineer originally brought in to fight the blaze near us aen. the fires if n waller, grimes and montgomery county blackened 15,000 acres. fire crews say they are making steady progress against the huge wildfire. nearly 1400 homes have been destroyed so far. this is the worst wildfire outbreak in texas history. some stretches of the swollen suskuahana river are receding after days of heavy rain from remnants of tropical storm lee. also today, president obama declared a state of emergency in new york and pennsylvania. correspondent molly line shows us what's happened. >> estimated 100,000 people were evacuated as the 400-mile
4:16 am
long river rose steadily, flooding communities. those who didn't heed warnerring were rescued by firefighters. >> i grand kids. [ inaudible ] a crane or something. it was -- we couldn't even walk in the streets. >> the surging waters threate threatened to burden levees. they kept vigil and rocks and dirt were sent in to fortify the levee in the town. 40-mile stretch on the pennsylvania turnpike was shut down reopening this morning and other major highways and bridges were submerged. further south, the dam in maryland opened floodgates relieving pressure. in new jersey, communities still in recovery from hurricane irene got slammed again. >> we have been evacuated some people, not as many as last week. that is because a lot of people haven't been able to get back in their houses yet. >> heavy rains at worcester,
4:17 am
massachusetts, where both docks and homes were swamped by lake. here in kingston, pennsylvania, the water is clearly receding but the white lines on the market street bridge behind me show how close it came to reefing over the metal barricades. kingsston were one of the lucky ones they were not hurt by it. across the northeast, other communities are working to rebuild and hoping they don't suffer another flood soon. >> thank you. lights in california, arizona are back on after a massive power outage affected a region home to 6 million people. it happened when elec tri dal worker switched out equipment at substation in southwest, arizona. the nuclear regulatory commission will allow the obama administration to continue plans to klos the controversial yucka mountain
4:18 am
nuclear waste plant inness. the panel split 2-2 to support the board decision to go against the white house. staying out west, new evidence tonight of deeper involvement by the federal agencies in the gun running scandal that has become known as operation fast and furious. correspondent william la jeunesse has this fox news exclusive from los angeles. >> the family wants answers. they would like to put to rest and put closure to exactly what happened to brian. >> new documents suggest that closure for the family of border patrol agent brian terry isn't coming any time soon because of an apparent cover-up by the f.b.i. of a third weapon found at the scene. until now, those involve insist police found only two guns, two ak style assault weapons but e-mail from the date after terry died suggests otherwise. in addition to those guns, the atf was researching status of firearms recovered earlier by
4:19 am
the f.b.i. a second e-mail asked if the two aks are inition to gun recovered this morning. so why is evidence of a third gun blacked out? sources say the weapon was procured by an f.b.i. informant inside the lower cartel the president gang that allegedly killed brian terry. >> bandits fired upon the agents and brian terry was, in fact, killed at that time. >> former border patrol deputy chief ron colburn is investigating terry's death. including audio recording heard by fox news of atf agent saying that the third weapon "assault rifle from texas." to protect the informant and the f.b.i. potential role in terry's death that gun apparently disappeared. >> the f.b.i. said it could not comment since the investigation is ongoing. this information supports earlier claims by investigators that the f.b.i. not only knew about and allowed passengers to
4:20 am
continue, but helped facilitate it through their informant. chris? >> william la jeunesse. thank you. still ahead -- a look at some of the special warriors keeping america safe since 9/11. up next, whose jobs plan has the best chance of succeeding? [ male announcer ] you never know when, but thieves can steal your identity. turning your life upside down in a matter of seconds. hi. hi. you know i can save you 15% today if you open up a charge card account with us. you just read my mind. [ male announcer ] just one little piece of information and they can open bogus accounts, stealing your credit, your money, and ruining your reputation. that's why you need lifelock. lifelock is the leader in identity theft protection. relentlessly protecting your personal information to help stop the crooks in their tracks before your identity is attacked. protecting your social security number, your bank accounts, even the equity in your home. i didn't know how serious identity theft was until i lost my credit and eventually i lost my home.
4:21 am
[ male announcer ] credit monitoring alone is not enough to protect your identity, and only tells you after the fact, sometimes as much as 60 days later. with lifelock, as soon as we spot a threat to your identity within our network, our advanced lifelock id alert system directly notifies you, protecting your identity before you become a victim. identity theft was a huge, huge problem for me. and it's gone away because of lifelock. [ male announcer ] while no one can stop all identity theft, if the criminals do manage to steal your information, lifelock is there to help fix it with our $1 million service guarantee. that's right. a $1 million service guarantee. don't wait until you become the next victim. call now to try lifelock risk free for 2 full months. that's right, 60 days risk free. use promo code: norisk. if you're not completely satisfied, notify lifelock and you won't pay a cent. order now and also get this document shredder to keep your personal documents out of the wrong hands. a $29 value, free! get the protection you need right now. call or go to lifelock.com
4:22 am
to try lifelock risk free for a full 60 days. use promo code: norisk. plus get this document shredder, free! but only if you act right now. call now! lifelock service guarantee cannot be offered to residents of new york.
4:23 am
a federal judge in washington state issued preliminary injunction against long shoreman who stormed grain facility thursday. the workers are upset that members of another union are employed at that terminal. they have ignored a previous restraining order from the same judge. president obama offered his ideas thursday night to put americans back to work, but he is not the only one with a plan.
4:24 am
how does president's idea stack up against the other ideas? chief washington correspondent james rosen takes a look. >> what is the best way to grow economy and create jobs? >> voters can contract three plans to do that unveiled this week. >> what we tried to pull together were five or six ite items that that could quickly be put in place. >> chamber of commerce plan issued monday and definite neutral claims to create 8 million jobse, expanding domestic oil exploration and easing regulations and permitting and for companies that return operations to our shores removing tax penalties on incomes earned overseas. >> we need permanent solutions. >> the chief economist for moody's analytics said today the obama plan would create 2 million jobs it proposes cutting in half payroll taxes for firms up to 5 million in payroll expenses, creating a
4:25 am
payroll tax holiday for firms that hire additional new workers, extenting the $4,000 tax credit when the companies hire people out of work for six months or more and steering federal funding to states to retain public sector workers like teachers, cops and firefighters. >> in other words, you pump this money in the economy, you create this many jobs. we had that same kind of forecast going on for the stimulus when it was passed a couple of years ago. did i want pan out. >> -- it didn't pan out. >> g.o.p. candidate mitt romney said his plan would create 11 million jobs in four years and would lower the corporate tax rate 10 points. eliminate taxes on capital gain, dividend and interest for taxpayers earning under $200,000 a year and slash the federal workforce by 10% and expand domestic energy production. >> the right course for america is to believe in growth. >> it even has some sympathetic to romney bristleed at to projection of gdp growth of 4%.
4:26 am
>> it's rare where we have a string of years three, four, five in a row where you have 4 to 5% gdp growth. >> each plan employs different assumption, models and numbers and it makes it virtually impossible to form accurate projections of the number of jobs each plan would create. another reminder why economics is called the dismal science in washington, james rosen, fox news. we will tell you about a false start from the white house press office. that is next on grapevine. a former power broker may have
4:27 am
4:28 am
4:29 am
[ children laughing ] every time you purchase a fishing license or register your boat, you're helping to preserve our nation's coastlines, lakes, rivers, and streams, protecting memories for generations to come. learn how your participation in boating and fishing
4:30 am
can help the environment at... >> bret: now some fresh pickings from the political grapevine. >> the white house may have jumped the gun a bit in the eagerness to send out e-mails showing support for president obama's jobs plan. one message to reporters was titled michigan governor rick snyder backs american jobs act. surprising endorsement from conservative republican. less than an hour later they sent corrected release, saying rick snyder on american jobs act. walking back the claim that snyder backed the obama plan. while the governor has positive things to say about the proposal, his office clarified he isn't offering his full support. one element of the plan is
4:31 am
preventing 285,000 teacher layoffs. however, senate republican leader mitch mcconnell's office points out last year president obama signed legislation that included $10 billion to avoid 160,000 teacher layoffs. that bill was a bargain averaging $62,500 per job saved. at least compared to the president's new request which works out to $125,000 per job. the education department says last year's bill did save jobs but there is now a need to avoid more layoffs. and finally, former yahoo ceo carol bartz may have cost herself tens of billions of dollars because of name-calling. she referred to other board members as dufuses two days after she was fired but since she has a non-disparagement clause in the contract she may lose out on multimillion dollar settlement from yahoo.
4:32 am
♪ our top story at the bottom of the hour, law enforcement officers across the country are keeping an eye out for suspects who may be planning a terror attack to coincide with the anniversary of 9/11. they say they have credible evidence of an active plot that might use car bombs to hit the bridges or tunnels in new york or here in washington. tonight, look at some of the men on the front lines of the war on terror. senior correspondent rick leventhal has story. >> when the u.s. went to afghanistan, soon after 9/11, airmen with the air force special operations team were among the first on ground. >> we weren't going to let anybody come in our country, do what they did to us and get away with it. >> highly trained at bases across the u.s., including florida, the special tactic forces, that compare the rescue mission in combat zones. >> target 140.
4:33 am
>> they direct airstrike from the battlefield, gather weather data in hostile environment and navigate air traffic when control towers aren't an option. >> they're all here for special tactic, a small agile force to plug and play with whatever element on the battlefield needs air expertise. whether land and airplanes in the desert or dropping bombs on the enemy to protect zillian population. >> physical training is brutal. flipping tires, climbing rop ropes. stress testing under water. plenty of hand-to-hand combat. the equipment is upgraded from weapons to electronics. >> now the ups are the sigh of my watch. it's getting lighter and smaller which makes us faster and more lethal on the battlefield. >> special tactics airmen have been deployed on six-month rotation nonstop for ten years. unprecedented stretch of service in history.
4:34 am
hundreds on the ground to take the fight to the enemy so they can't fight us here there we go in on the "x" and take the guys out that are planning future attacks so i like to think we're safer. >> airmen say events of 9/11 are never far from their minds and they know the mission come at great risk and heavy costs. 17 of the special tactics airmen lost their lives in combat since 9/11. almost 100 have been critically wounded. security here is tighter than it has been because of the credible, specific and unconfirmed terror threat of a possible car bomb attack in new york or d.c. there are check points at bridges and tums. vehicles and bags searched and train stations as well. hoping that the ceremony on sunday marking ten years goes smoothly. back to you. >> we all hope for that. rick leventhal reporting from ground zero. thanks so much. units like that one that rick talked about show how the
4:35 am
military has had to adapt since 9/11. senior white house foreign affairs correspondent wendell goler reports on how the way the u.s. deals with the world has evolved. >> before the smoke cleared on september 11, president george w. bush was changing policy. the first clue came that night. >> we will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed the acts and those who harbor them. >> the following january, another warning in his "state of the union" address. >> i will not wait on event while danger gathers. >> in june of that year at west point, the essentials of what became known as the bush doctrine. >> to be ready for pre-emptive action when necessary to defend our liberty. and to defend our lives. >> if war in afghanistan was our post-9/11 defense, the war in iraq was seen as the country's first mod earn day pre-emptive attack. both in keeping with the bush doctrine as vice president chain made clear in 2003. >> if there is anyone in world
4:36 am
today who doubts the seriousness of the bush doctrine, i would urge that person to consider the fate of the taliban in afghanistan. of saddam hussein's regime in iraq. >> former national security advisor steven hadley said there were different opinions when to apply the bush doctrine. >> great consensus on the basic principles of how we needed to approach the war on terror there were separate issues about what to deal with iraq. >> still, then, and now, there were regimes in iran and syria and north korea that would seem to be candidates where brookings michael o'hanlan notes the bush doctrine was not applied. >> obviously, preemption meaning major military operation isn't what you can resort to in most cases. >> with the wars in iraq and afghanistan winding down and u.s. taking role in libya and other country of the arab spring criticized as leading from behind, some think the bush doctrine ended with mr. bush's tenure. former defense secretary donald rumsfeld says domestically much of it
4:37 am
survived. >> they ended upkeeping guantanamo open, not because they liked it. we have didn't like it either. we couldn't think of a better solution to it. >> rumsfeld says the same goes for military commissions and indefinite distention. steven hadley believes the bush doctrine explains why 9/11 was not the first in a series of attacks which many feared it would be. at the white house, wendell goler, fox news. please join bret baier sunday for a 9/11 anniversary edition of "special report." he will have reports from the pentagon, new york, and shanksville, pennsylvania. and his panel features former vice president dick cheney, former defense secretary donald rumsfeld, former joint chiefs chairman richard meyers and former vice chief of staff general jack keen.
4:38 am
4:39 am
4:40 am
this is a time when we are
4:41 am
meeting here in new york amid looking back as well as looking forward. and with the news last night of a a specific credible and unconfirmed report that al-qaeda again is seeking to harm americans. >> secretary of state hillary clinton reacting to a new terror threat on this tenth anniversary of 9/11. let's bring in our panel. steve hayes from the "weekly standard." david druger of roll call newspaper. syndicated columnnist charles krauthammer. steve, law enforcement, as we have been reporting tonight, pursuing reporting that al-qaeda may have people inside the country, unconfirmed but credible reports. car bombs in washington, and/or new york. what does that tell you about where we are ten years after 9/11? >> it's, i mean it's a stark reminder of the fact that this war goes on, as much as i think people have decided, i think rather arbitrarily that the war is over because we
4:42 am
have done such a good job of decimating al-qaeda central in pakistan and afghanistan. the fact remains that even small number of operatives sent from afghanistan and pakistan or yesmen, or somalia or anywhere else for that matter can do a tremendous amount of damage. one car bomb is all a it takes. as to this particular threat, these kind of threats are almost always unconfirmed until they're not. until they are pulled off. so we shouldn't take any comfort in the fact that this is a specific credible but unconfirmed. >> david, former new york city mayor rudy giuliani says this is exactly the point, that 9/11 is not part of our history. you can't tuck it away in a box like december 7, pearl harbor, because as he says it's part of the current reality. 9/11 and the threats. and the challenges continue to this day. >> that's correct. even if you look at december 7 and world war ii, even that in a sense is part of the current history. we are still deployed in germany and japan.
4:43 am
much of our military is still based in the sense around a cold war footing that emanated from world war ii. and everything that came after, and i think for a long time to come, we're going to be left with a 9/11 anti-terror footing. the infrastructure that was created coming out of 9/11 in terms of the military infrastructure, special operations and everything we do is still with us and will be with us. as steve said, really don't know that you have succeeded if something hasn't happened. the hope we have succeeded. and so i think while many of us feel a lot better around the country about the war on terror, or the anti-terror, the terrorist threat, it's still with us. >> charles, where do you think we are ten years later in terms of protecting the homeland and also in terms of waging the war on terror? >> i think we're much safer. we have achieved a lot.
4:44 am
al-qaeda has been decimateed and scattered. bin laden were jihaddist hero, they named children after him on 9/11. he ended up as a reinclude, sitting in a room watching himself on an old television in a room with nothing in it. that deteriation is clear. the fact that we're talking about car bombs which is sort of timothy mcveigh level terrorism, which is not hard to pull off. you only need a single operative, you only need a lone wolf compared to what 9/11 was. incredibly complicated, intricate plan involving 19 people who were ready to commit suicide. organized, long range, but all of the elements required. that was a singular event i think al-qaeda is likely unable to pull off again. we have had remarkable success. of course, the war on terror will continue because
4:45 am
jihaddist ideology is not eradicated but it certainly is in a decline compared to where it was. >> i want to pick up on. >> ten years ago. >> i want to pick up on something. you talk about a new conventionm wisdom you believe there is in this country that we, the country, our leaders overreacted to 9/11. and created a climate of fear for the last decade. you don't have much patience for that opinion. >> it's complacency that you get when you have had success. success of having no repeat attack in ten years. everybody who lives here, who remembers the 9/11 in washington or new york remembers how everybody here thought there would be a second attack in months. it never happened. >> within days. >> it never happened. over a decade. it didn't happen because al-qaeda all of a sudden decided it would cash in the chips or because its leadership was jefferson and decided it would give it all up.
4:46 am
it happened because we launched a war against them offensively. men afghanistan and borderland of pakistan and constructed elaborate apparatus a lot of people on the left attacked as oppressive, in fact has retained our civil liberties about kept us safe. >> next up, the friday lightning round, including rick perry's contention that social security is a ponzi scheme.
4:47 am
4:48 am
4:49 am
it makes no sense that we're targeted and it makes no sense that we have been targeted with tactics like swat raids, and confiscation of significant resources.
4:50 am
>> that is the head of gibson guitars in nashville, objecting to a raid by federal agents last month, seizing rare wood that gibson used for years to make its world famous product. every week, the viewers vote for your choice online in the friday lightning round poll. this week, gibson guitar raid was one with 5% of the vote -- 55% of the vote. back with the panel. what do you make of federal agents raiding gibbson when some of the competitors use the same rare wood? >> you want to know why people have a low opinion of the federal government? this is why. this is the thing to take conspiracy theorists on the fringes and prove them right with something like this. what happens with gibson now, they are trying to get gibson on the obscure provision of the lacey act that requires companies to know what foreign laws are and to know they are not violating them. in addition to all of that,
4:51 am
you have the double standard they are going after gibson, which happens to be run by a republican and not going after companies that have done the same thing. it greeks. >> i don't believe conspiracy theories suggest they went after him because he is a republican, because the government was smart enough to do that, imagine everything else they get right. it doesn't help president to appeal to the independent voters conservative democrats he goes after another successful company and reminds me of the nlrb suit against boeing. trying to employ a plant and em -- open a plant and employ thousands of people. not good her his image. >> ironic and a contradiction. he will throw half a trillion dollars at jobs and his agencies are running around destroying jobs or threatening them with the ruling on boeing. having ruling on epa and shunning down oil exploration or attempting to shut down the coal industry in regulation
4:52 am
that that was suspended. you either favor jobs or you don't and this is an example of job destroying actions by the federal government. >> speaking of jobs, steve, president obama went on the road to virginia to sell his jobs plan he unveiled last night. more reaction from republicans. your take the day after on the jobs plan and prospects for passage? >> it is a tough sell because every time he gives the speech he admits a policy failure, he admits that what he has tried thus far hasn't worked. the real outrage is puppetting to the super committee, that he is acting the super committee to come up with the additional savings to finance this. what is he going to do next? ask the super committee to hand the budget? why not give the super committee everything that is politically difficult to do? a real punt. >> this is trying to change the narrative he hasn't produced results. maybe this request get him somewhere if he was elected six months but today the best he can hope for is independent
4:53 am
voters will give him if you get me results maybe i'll like it and give you a chance to produce. >> does congress pass any of it? >> maybe parts of it. the thing to understand is they don't think it will solve the problem so they won't be enthusiastic about it. >> what struck me is the abuse of the imaginegy of the setting. joint address of congress is something that fdr did the day after pearl harbor to ask for declaration of war. place where lbj asked for civil rights act. he used it as a kickoff of the kickoff campaign. quite a difference. >> bret: folks are talking about. >> folks are talking about rick perry, his comments in the presidential debate this week comparing social security to ponzi scheme. mitt romney is going after perry as if he thinks this is a big political gaffe. is it? >> it's defensible comparison i think.
4:54 am
there are similarities between ponzi scheme and social security. ponzi scheme is voluntary, social security is not however. both are based on accounting gimmicks. neither is sustainable. it's a defensible comparison. >> as often in politics it's not what you say but how you say it that matters. rick perry needs to focus particularly if he will win the nomination and be the general election candidate on saving and preserving social security as he talks about what is wrong with it. there are a lot of voters in florida he need and if he scares this because of "it"'s a problem. >> classic example of the washington gaffe, which is when a politician accidentally speaks the truth. it is a ponzi scheme but you aren't allowed to say it. has to learn it's unsaid. >> less than a minute left, big story. n.f.l. season began yesterday with the green bay packers,
4:55 am
victory over new orleans saints. i want all of your bowles picks. nobody can pick somebody -- i want all of your super bowl picksism i'll start, and pick green bay packers. steve, who do you want to pick? [ laughter ] >> that is a total set-up. it could be the philadelphia eagles but i think they lose in the nfc championship. pick green bay packers. >> i know you love the green bay packers and i know you are a cheesehead. i want to mess with your head. >> i'm from los angeles, they took all of my teams so i go with pittsburgh because james harrison is upset he didn't win last year. he night get it done. >> another gotcha question. houston texans. >> are you nuts? washington redskins will do it. there you see it. that is close, as the washington redskins will get to the super bowl. that's it for the panel. stay tuned for the final critique of this week republican presidential debate. [ male announcer ] you never know when,
4:56 am
but thieves can steal your identity. turning your life upside down in a matter of seconds. hi. hi. you know i can save you 15% today if you open up a charge card account with us. you just read my mind. [ male announcer ] just one little piece of information and they can open bogus accounts, stealing your credit, your money, and ruining your reputation. that's why you need lifelock. lifelock is the leader in identity theft protection. relentlessly protecting your personal information to help stop the crooks in their tracks before your identity is attacked. protecting your social security number, your bank accounts, even the equity in your home. i didn't know how serious identity theft was until i lost my credit and eventually i lost my home. [ male announcer ] credit monitoring alone is not enough to protect your identity, and only tells you after the fact, sometimes as much as 60 days later. with lifelock, as soon as we spot a threat to your identity within our network, our advanced lifelock id alert system directly notifies you, protecting your identity before you become a victim. identity theft was a huge, huge problem for me.
4:57 am
and it's gone away because of lifelock. [ male announcer ] while no one can stop all identity theft, if the criminals do manage to steal your information, lifelock is there to help fix it with our $1 million service guarantee. that's right. a $1 million service guarantee. don't wait until you become the next victim. call now to try lifelock risk free for 2 full months. that's right, 60 days risk free. use promo code: norisk. if you're not completely satisfied, notify lifelock and you won't pay a cent. order now and also get this document shredder to keep your personal documents out of the wrong hands. a $29 value, free! get the protection you need right now. call or go to lifelock.com to try lifelock risk free for a full 60 days. use promo code: norisk. plus get this document shredder, free! but only if you act right now. call now! lifelock service guarantee cannot be offered to residents of new york.
4:58 am
4:59 am
>> chris: finally tonight folks are still talking about that presidential g.o.p. debate this week especially the part when they brought in a guest mod administrator. >> i want to introduce another line of questioning by yet introducing another colleague of ours jose from tell monday doe. >> please bring out he didn't bring out a latino. >> i want to talk about sawj that was very dear to the heart of president obama, which was immigration reform. >> if we are going to do this, can't we at least get a guy with an accident? >> i shall direct my first immigration question. [ laughter ] to drink -- dringo number one. >> that would have been better. i'm chris wallace in washington. please join me sunday for "fox news sunday." we will all the events of 10th anniversary of 9/11. john brennan. former new york mayor rudy giuliani and f

144 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on